NIVA Denmark is looking for a Researcher/Senior Researcher in marine system analysis.
NIVA Denmark works in streams, rivers, lakes, estuaries, coastal waters, and offshore marine waters. Our key research areas are biodiversity, nutrient enrichment and eutrophication, climate change, hazardous substances including litter and microplastics, environmental assessments, physical modification, ecosystem health as well as the multiple human activities potentially impairing aquatic ecosystems. Hence, we develop and test indicators, monitoring methods and assessment tools with an aim of carrying out ecological analyses and synthesis research related to the current environmental challenges in aquatic ecosystems. NIVA Denmark is formally a regional office of the Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA).
NIVA is Norway’s leading research institute for the aquatic environment, working across a wide range of environmental, climate and resource issues. Our high-quality research is characterized by its relevance, and its holistic and interdisciplinary approach, combining research with monitoring, assessment, problem solving and consulting. Further, NIVA is leading the new European Topic Centre for Biodiversity and Ecosystems (ETC-BE) for the European Environment Agency from 2023. The NIVA group has approximately 500 employees and is headquartered in Oslo, with branches in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, together with a marine research station in Drøbak, and subsidiaries in Tromsø, Chile and China.
NIVA Denmark is looking for a researcher / senior researcher with experiences in studies and analyses of the effects of human pressures in marine ecosystems (pending qualifications and experiences) and/or experiences with aquatic remote sensing and ocean color who will actively work with and contribute to 1) ongoing research projects (see http://www.GES4SEAS.eu, http://www.OBAMA-NEXT.eu, http://www.AquaINFRA.eu), 2) other activities (such as AquaSYNC, ETC BE 2023-2026, assignments for national environmental agencies) and 3) your own RDI opportunities.
This position will report to the Office Manager of NIVA Denmark.
- Contribute to ongoing research and development project embedded in NIVA Denmark (GES4SEAS, OBAMA-NEXT, AquaINFRA, ETC-BE 2023-2026, etc.)
- Modelling of cumulative impacts / combined effects
- Water quality and ocean color by Earth observations
- Big Data, system ecology and synthesis research
- Dissemination of research results in scientific journals and at conferences/symposia
We are looking for candidates in the fields of aquatic biology, oceanography, data science or equivalent and expect applicants to hold the following qualifications:
PhD (or MSc with similar experiences)
- Documented experiences in handling of large datasets, including spatial data layers, as well as spatial modeling/GIS, and coding (R, C, Python, Java, .Net programming, etc.)
- Experiences in software for Earth observations, e.g., SNAP/SNAP-PYTHON
- Understanding of ecosystem-based management and how science supports cost-effective implementation of WFD, MSFD, MSPD, HELCOM BSAP, etc.
- Experiences in writing of applications/tenders and scientific papers/reports
- Fluent in English, both written and oral. Knowledge of a Nordic language is an added value.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic, goal-oriented candidate with the ability to work both independently and in teams
- You should be technically strong in your own discipline(s) and eager to acquire and apply new knowledge in new areas
- You are willing to share your knowledge and ideas, have a positive attitude, desire, and ability to work on complex tasks in teams
Inclusion and diversity
NIVA’s work environment is distinguished by respect and equality. We treat each other equally and do not discriminate based on gender, age, functional ability, religion, ethnic and cultural background, or any other defining aspect of an individual. We wish to attract diversity as different perspectives promotes innovation and encourage all qualified candidates to apply for positions at NIVA regardless of age, gender, functional ability, nationality, or ethnic background.
NIVA Denmark offers
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a leading Norwegian-based water research institute
- An opportunity for professional and personal development in an organization were responsibility and initiative are highly valued
- To be part of a network of national and international researchers
- A multicultural, social, and creative work environment
- Flexible working hours, good pension, welfare and insurance schemes, and competitive salary
- Cabin in Hemsedal, Norway
Application deadline: 31.01.2023.