The Fifth International Symposium on Research and Management of Eutrophication in Coastal Ecosystems (EUTRO2023) will take place 20-22 June 2023 in Nyborg, Denmark. The venue is Hotel Nyborg Strand.
The EUTRO2023 format will be a 3-day in-person symposium starting Tuesday at 9:00 and ending Thursday around 15:00. Online participation will not be possible. The programme is under development and will include the following elements:
- Opening Session
- 6-8 keynote speakers
- KN1: NN – name and title will be added at a later stage
- KN2: NN – name and title will be added at a later stage
- KN3: NN – name and title will be added at a later stage
- KN4: NN – name and title will be added at a later stage
- KN5: NN – name and title will be added at a later stage
- KN6: NN – name and title will be added at a later stage
- Selected plenary presentations (picked from the submitted abstracts)
- A PechaKucha 20×20 session
- Symposium Summary by Three Wise Ladies followed by a short Closing Session
Thematic Sessions (8-10)
- S01: Land-Sea interactions and nutrient concentrations
- S02: Phytoplankton under different nutrient regimes
- S03: Submerged aquatic vegetation under different nutrient regimes
- S04: Benthic invertebrates under different nutrient regimes
- S05: Eutrophication in a changing climate
- S06: Assessment of eutrophication status and trends
- S07: Best practices in ecosystem-based management of coastal eutrophication
- S08: Eutrophication research and monitoring in Africa, Asia and South America
- Please contact the Organizers if you have an idea for a thematic session …
- We envisage at least two workshops
- Please contact the Organizers if you have an idea for a workshop …
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN IN JANUARY 2023. If you wish to receive updates and more information about EUTRO2023, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EUTRO2023 will, as was the case for EUTRO1993, EUTRO2006 and EUTRO2018, produce Symposium Proceeding and publish these in a per-reviewed scientific journal. More information on this process will be provided at a later stage.
The EUTRO2023 Planning Committee consists of Jesper H. Andersen (NIVA Denmark), Jacob Carstensen (Aarhus University), Bo Gustafsson (Stockholm University) and Lora Harris (University of Maryland) – more names will be added.
The local EUTRO2023 Organising Committee consists of Jesper H. Andersen, Therese Harvey and Ciaran Murray, all from NIVA Denmark.
The EUTRO2023 Publication Committee consists of Jesper H. Andersen (NIVA Denmark), Jacob Carstensen (Aarhus University), Michelle Devlin (CEFAS) and Lora Harris (University of Maryland).
EUTRO2023 is being supported by the following institutions and organisations: Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA), Aarhus University (AU – to be confirmed), Swedish Agency for Water and Marine Management (SwAM – to be confirmed), University of Southern Denmark (SDU – to be confirmed) and Hotel Nyborg Strand – more sponsors and supporters will be added in the near future.
More information about the earlier symposia can be found below:
- EUTRO1993: Marked the ending of the Danish Marine Research Programme 1990 (Hav90) and took place at LO-Skolen in Elsinore, Denmark. Symposium were published in the scientific journal OPHELIA vol. 41 and 42 in 1995.
- EUTRO2006: Followed up on EUTRO1993 and presented new research and nutrient management strategies. EUTRO2006 took place in Nyborg, Denmark and Symposium Proceedings were published in Hydrobiologia.
- EUTRO2010: Followed up on EUTRO2006, also in Nyborg, Denmark, and presented new research and nutrient management strategies with a special focus on the EU Water Framework Directive and the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive. The Summary Paper by Fulweiler, Rabalais & Heiskanen (2012): ‘The Eutrophication Commandments’ can be found here.
- EUTRO2018: Marked the 25-year anniversary and took place in Nyborg, Denmark. The themes with regard to research and management were to a large extent the same as earlier, but a specific focus was put on climate change. Symposium Proceedings were published as a Research Topic in Frontiers in Marine Science.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT EUTRO2023 WILL BE PRESENTED IN THE COMING WEEKS – please check back later.